Skip to main content

The Dilemma

Oni wat mesti ya ogik dilema de wat tih?

The amp I'm using now with my lovely Digitech Metal Master (Can't play without it, man!). Ignore the feet, it's just a scale to show you how small the amp actually is.
A few months back I was determined to finally own a 'decent' guitar amp. What? Why would I need a guitar amp? Coz I dont' have one, that's why. Can you believe that? I've played guitar for so many years...and I don't even have an amp...hahaha. Yeah, there's a 10-watt Marshall that I play with at home..but that's not mine. It belong's to my bro-in-law. I use to own a 15-watt Laney, but that was when I was still in my uni days. Then I sold it to one of my guitar students who graduated playing the guitar (thankfully he graduated with his diploma too).

So after so many years, but with so little significant reasons...I finally wanted to buy one. And after scourging the internet and guitar shops (showing my face in the shop, testing the equipment but never really buy anything..hahaha..Nico's porbably pissed at me) I have finally come down to these two bad boyz...



Just look at these two gorgeous babies! Can't I have 'em both?
  
..the Peavey Bandit 112 80-Watt Analogue Beast OR the all new Fender Mustang III 100-Watt Digital Effects Monster. Here, I'm at the crossroads of conundrums. By heart and soul, I prefer an ordinary stack amp without any kinda amp emulators or effects built-in. The reason is simply because I like my effects in the pedals under my feet and I like the idea that the amp actually has a voice of its own. Anyways, I don't think I have the time for all the digital tinkering that's needed to get THE sound from an emulator amp.

However, what's crazy is that the Mustang, although digitalized - still sounds exquisite and the prospects of actually having all the modulation and delay effects all in there - it's kinda attractive when you have a limited budget (like myself). I don't have to attach any more delays, or choruses or whatever coz almost everything's there. If the distortion's bad, then I just need to plug it in with my Metal Master. 

Take note of the following notes:
  1. Both amps are in the same price range (between RM 1600 to RM 2000)
  2. Both are above my desired minimum wattage which is 50-watts and above (manalah tau ada can perform live..nak?)
  3. Both are 12 inch speakers (of the same type lagik tu..Celestion..actually I'm just pretending that I know the significance of Celestion speakers...hahaha coz for this part, I dun really care hahaha)
  4. The Peavey - produces a HUGE sound (Peaveys has always been like that)..and if that's not enough...it's jackable to stacks...so it can act like a head to another set of 4x12 inch speaker cabinet. Like it couldn't already blow up your neighbours eardrums on its own..damn! No-nonsense here, all I need is my guitar, my Digitech Metal Master...and it's done, one - two - three - bomb's away!!! what I adore about it is just the fact that it speaks in pure simplicity. You either play clean, or drop dead dirrrrty!!! No fuss!
  5. The Mustang - future proof! If it wasn't because I had a chance to play with it at the store, I probably wouldn't consider this amp...but it is just so pretty!!!! I've used digital emulator amps before, like the Line 6 Spider III and even the Marshall MG Something-something model. But they always seem to lack something..it's like...I'm not so sure...but another thing is, they are justa  hassle to adjust. But the Mustang had a pretty cool interface and it looked like I could get the hang of it in a few minutes. It actually opens up a huge window of opportunity in terms of cost-effectiveness and clean guitar recording direct via USB (so it's a plus for an audio freak like myself). Oh, how wonderful....
You'd have a headache too if you were in my shoes, (unless you're not a guitarist) right? Dear Lord...how do I choose????

So in the end, out of my pure inability to choose between the two, I simply used the money I had saved to tile my porch (that really did needed tiling)!!! Hahahaha...so I'm gonna have to wait to own my very own amp next year la. Oh, well....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suria Perkasa Hitam a.k.a. Kesatria Baja Hitam a.k.a. Kamen Rider Black

Oni wat sirita tih doik obuok tayang? Many many years ago, when I was still a phlemy kid (budak ingusan la...) there was this one television show that somehow brainwashed the minds of almost every boy in my primary school. I'm gonna need the help of my fellow friends and readers to help me re-trace the steps of this television show, coz to be honest, the storyline was the last thing on my mind when I watched it. Tapi dalam aku cuba mengelak untuk ambil tauk pasal storyline cerita tok...masih juak aku dapat ingat dengan samar-samar apa sedang dilalui hero ya. Cerita nok aku maksudkan adalah....jeng jeng jeng! Nangga video tok dulok...jelmakan semula zaman gembira kanak-kanak anda! Henshin!!! Suria...Perkasa...Hitam!!!!!! Persoalan Minda: Aku heran dengan nama hero tok versi Indon ya - Kesatria Baja Hitam. Apa sebenarnya maksud 'baja' ya? Macam ne nama Kamen Rider Black, boleh ter'translate' kepada Kesatria  Baja Hitam? 'Kesatria' dan 'hitam' ya

Bidayuh Music?!!

Oni wat ya nai muzik Bidoyoh?  Traditional Bidayuh Instruments  One day, I saw a discussion on Facebook between some friends that was about Bidayuh MUSIC. I couldn't remember as to whether the discussion was about holding a competition for Bidayuh music or organizing some sort of Bidayuh music festival. Not so sure which one was it. But let me just ask this question; what exactly do you mean by Bidayuh 'music'?. For all I know, Bidayuh music that I have been exposed since I was a kid was those that involve an entire ensemble of gongs (tawak, kita'ak, pidabat and etc...). So when I read this discussion, it was odd for me to think that we would try to ask our modern songwriters to write new music from this type of ensemble. I was once told by village elders that to each kampung, their musical arrangement for this ensemble is different. So the beats played by the group from Grogo, will definitely differ from those who hail from Singgai, Pedawan or Serian.

Space Cop Gaban a.k.a. Space Ranger Gaban a.k.a Space Sheriff Gavan

Oni wat sirita tih ponai brainwash onak opot bih? Space Cop Gaban!! As it seems futile to avoid talking about the invasion of Japanese henshin (transform) hero series that invaded my innocent childhood, it should be more than proper for me to introduce to all of you the pioneer of all japanese henshin heroes. Of course, Suria Perkasa Hitam was one of a kind...yeah, he didn't have any fancy looking giant robot and has never fought any monster that taller than 10 feet. Jadi hero Jipon nok bakal aku persembahkan tok adalah.... ...Space Cop Gaban!!! Mesti bahagia Lawai baca blog aku tok kelak. Oh, and by the way, mun kitak orang nangga video di atas, tolong-tolonglah perhatikan subtitle theme songnya tok dalam Bahasa Malaysia. Hahahaha. Cerita tok aku rasa sapa lahir selepas 1982 sik kan ingat langsung la rasa-rasanya sebab aku rasa aku nangga tok sebelum aku sekolah rendah gik. Atau time aku darjah 1 kot..sik ingat gilak la...harap-harap ada sapa-sapa tolong ingatkan aku (I