Skip to main content

BR1M Fever

Oni wat 'perlu' ogik Bantuan Rakyat 1 Malaysia?

Sometime before Christmas last year, I was hanging out at the office pantry during lunch hour and the topic of BR1M brought up the following conversation. Take note that ‘BR1M’ has been commonly pronounced as ‘brim’ even though it’s obvious that there’s no letter ‘I’ in the acronym.

Evil Colleague: Hey, you guys filled up the BR1M form yet?

Naïve Colleague: No…my household income is already more than RM 3,000.00.

Evil Colleague: Hey, man it doesn’t matter la, free money ma…just fill in the form.

Naïve Colleague: Why? It wouldn’t matter coz I’m not even eligible la.

Evil Colleague: Alaa…don’t put your wife punya name in there. Just you and your kids.

Naïve Colleague: What? That’s cheating la.

Evil Colleague: So what? Look, you got 4 kids right? You take 2 as your tanggungan.

Naïve Colleague: Ok…

Evil Colleague: Then your wife fills in one more form for her and the other 2.

Naïve Colleague: I don’t know man…it’s kind of dishonest.

Evil Colleague: Aiyaaa...government already want to give out money, just take as much as you can la. When you think they’re going to give it to you again? Not everyday la. So whatever you can take, take la.

Naïve Colleague: I don’t know.

Evil Colleague: You see, my father applied and he got, but he put my name as one of his tanggungan. Now my own application rejected ma. So I have my wife to fill in the form on our behalf but my name not in it this time. But she put only our youngest child in it. My eldest son (already finished Form 6), I also ask to fill in the form. He works at KFC part time but in his form it’s as if his 2 siblings are his tanggungan ma…

Naïve Colleague: Waaa…that way ka? So desperate ka?

Evil Colleague: Mesti la! Harga barang sudah naik, everything naik, nanti after this New Year, for sure everything become more expensive you know. So if government give out free money, take la.

Naïve Colleague: Yalah. I guess you’re right.
From then onwards, the Naïve Colleague has been converted into the Evil Colleague’s cult. I’m cynically calling it a ‘cult’ coz almost everywhere I go these days; people are constantly talking about BR1M and how to get their hands on the money. The story always starts with:

“I heard that someone in (put the name of location here) got the RM500.00 by….”

Then you continue the sentence with any kind of unscrupulous plan you can think of.

Everyone’s got some sort of strategy to ensure that the RM 500.00 is theirs and many will not let the dust settle even when their first application was rejected. In more ways than one, they’ll scheme out some ridiculous plan that they hope would succeed. This scenario reminds me so much of Wile E. Coyote’s attempt to catch the Roadrunner.

Personally, I’m not a fan of this government initiative, no matter how much the mainstream media tries to propagate the message that this is a SINCERE aid dished out to ease the financial burden of the rakyat. Oh, please…there be very little that RM 500.00 could do anyway. A month’s household ration for would finish that in a blink of an eye.

We are always being bombarded with issues and propaganda relating to sustainability. But try and look into the BR1M aid, and ask yourself, “Is there anything sustainable about this aid?”

The answer is a plain and simple, “No”.

Once the rakyat is done with the RM 500.00…what happens? Nothing.

I’m not even going into the political aspect of this BR1M aid. Just the bare economics of it alone has so many flaws in it; I’m scared shitless (sorry for the foul language, but I can’t help it this time) that our country is draining its financial resources for something that’s not worth while.

Is this going to make the poor less poor? Is this going to ensure that we will be able to provide for our children and/or our elders in the next 20 to 30 years? Is this going to give long term prosperity for Malaysians from all walks of life as a whole? The answer to all of that is the same. No. But it’s been done and what’s done is done.

You want a dose of irony? Here one that’ll slap so many people in the face.

“We (MP and Residents in Sarawak) recently discussed with officials from the MoF (Ministry of Finance) how best to hand out the assistance. We’ve been given two months, Jan 15 to Mar 15, to distribute the payment vouchers to eligible applicants. So, plan properly, remember if we can’t handle it nicely, we defeat the noble purpose to help the rakyat,” said Datuk Alexander Nanta Linggi in an article in the Borneo Post.


Now, why is logistics such an issue? Coz we have no proper road network. Now, isn’t it more sustainable if the government had used money to build more roads? Than using money to fund the BR1M aid and then find use more money to find a way to get these monies to the rakyat? Adoi.

Comments, anyone?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suria Perkasa Hitam a.k.a. Kesatria Baja Hitam a.k.a. Kamen Rider Black

Oni wat sirita tih doik obuok tayang? Many many years ago, when I was still a phlemy kid (budak ingusan la...) there was this one television show that somehow brainwashed the minds of almost every boy in my primary school. I'm gonna need the help of my fellow friends and readers to help me re-trace the steps of this television show, coz to be honest, the storyline was the last thing on my mind when I watched it. Tapi dalam aku cuba mengelak untuk ambil tauk pasal storyline cerita tok...masih juak aku dapat ingat dengan samar-samar apa sedang dilalui hero ya. Cerita nok aku maksudkan adalah....jeng jeng jeng! Nangga video tok dulok...jelmakan semula zaman gembira kanak-kanak anda! Henshin!!! Suria...Perkasa...Hitam!!!!!! Persoalan Minda: Aku heran dengan nama hero tok versi Indon ya - Kesatria Baja Hitam. Apa sebenarnya maksud 'baja' ya? Macam ne nama Kamen Rider Black, boleh ter'translate' kepada Kesatria  Baja Hitam? 'Kesatria' dan 'hitam' ya

Bidayuh Music?!!

Oni wat ya nai muzik Bidoyoh?  Traditional Bidayuh Instruments  One day, I saw a discussion on Facebook between some friends that was about Bidayuh MUSIC. I couldn't remember as to whether the discussion was about holding a competition for Bidayuh music or organizing some sort of Bidayuh music festival. Not so sure which one was it. But let me just ask this question; what exactly do you mean by Bidayuh 'music'?. For all I know, Bidayuh music that I have been exposed since I was a kid was those that involve an entire ensemble of gongs (tawak, kita'ak, pidabat and etc...). So when I read this discussion, it was odd for me to think that we would try to ask our modern songwriters to write new music from this type of ensemble. I was once told by village elders that to each kampung, their musical arrangement for this ensemble is different. So the beats played by the group from Grogo, will definitely differ from those who hail from Singgai, Pedawan or Serian.

Space Cop Gaban a.k.a. Space Ranger Gaban a.k.a Space Sheriff Gavan

Oni wat sirita tih ponai brainwash onak opot bih? Space Cop Gaban!! As it seems futile to avoid talking about the invasion of Japanese henshin (transform) hero series that invaded my innocent childhood, it should be more than proper for me to introduce to all of you the pioneer of all japanese henshin heroes. Of course, Suria Perkasa Hitam was one of a kind...yeah, he didn't have any fancy looking giant robot and has never fought any monster that taller than 10 feet. Jadi hero Jipon nok bakal aku persembahkan tok adalah.... ...Space Cop Gaban!!! Mesti bahagia Lawai baca blog aku tok kelak. Oh, and by the way, mun kitak orang nangga video di atas, tolong-tolonglah perhatikan subtitle theme songnya tok dalam Bahasa Malaysia. Hahahaha. Cerita tok aku rasa sapa lahir selepas 1982 sik kan ingat langsung la rasa-rasanya sebab aku rasa aku nangga tok sebelum aku sekolah rendah gik. Atau time aku darjah 1 kot..sik ingat gilak la...harap-harap ada sapa-sapa tolong ingatkan aku (I