Skip to main content

R.I.P. ALEXISONFIRE...

Oni wat band tih moh botah bih?
Band of nerds...
It was sometime in my June 2004 semester that me and a former college housemate was hanging loose in his rented house in Shah Alam's Section 24, and he was actually browsing through a host of music videos he copied from friends. I was lingering on the floor toying with an electric guitar. The room we were in was actually at the back of the second floor and its windows faced West, coz I remembered the rays of light that blazed through the panes as he called me to put my attention on the videos he just got.

There were the likes of At The Drive In playing Arc Arsenal live, In Flames with their My Sweet Shadow music video and then there was this one band called Alexisonfire. This was the first time I ever heard any of their songs in my life and the video I was watching was for the song Pulmonary Archery. Now the new millenium was the dawn of emo-screamo rock that descended after nu-metal faded from the mainstream scene.

Hahaha, does anybody remember the local band that sang the song called VETO and won an AIM award for best rock act (if I'm not mistaken) - I think they were called Black Maria (Malaysia's own Korn wannabe!). I wonder what happened to them?  Hahaha! Ok, so back to Alexisonfire.

Watching screamo bands was nothing new but somehow, these guys were really kick**sed awesome! It was like they never ceased to stop moving while performing and they don't bother about making cool 'rock god' poses. The video just showed them jumping around screaming their hearts out in an empty house. It was funny in a way caused they all looked like nerds...but hey, I was more or less a nerd those days, hahahaha (probably), so it made sense that I found it to be awesome.

They had a cool slow riff that started the song and then BOOM! All the growl starts to come out of this small framed skinny human being wearing glasses, hahaha! I thought they were great, but it didn't made me a fan..but you know what's odd about it? I could never forget them after that. All this while, once in a while, I'd always try to look up that band name everytime I click on Youtube.

I think it's simply because of their name...Alexisonfire. How do you pronounce it actually? Is it Alex-Is-On-Fire? Or Alexis-On-Fire? Or do you just try and say the name as fast as you can? I usually go with the second choice coz it sounded cooler, and then later Wiki told me that was the right way it was pronounced after all. Each time I look them up through the years, they always create some cool music and now after more than a decade, the band is finally breaking up (Which is not really a good thing...).

The song, I think that truly embeds them in my mind forever was This Could Be Anywhere in The World and somehow it was always their introduction to the song that catches me by surprise. Other cool songs are Water Wings (the video for this one is cool too!) and Accidents. So in tribute to them, here's their video clip for This Could be Anywhere in The World:


In Memoriam of Alexisonfire!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suria Perkasa Hitam a.k.a. Kesatria Baja Hitam a.k.a. Kamen Rider Black

Oni wat sirita tih doik obuok tayang? Many many years ago, when I was still a phlemy kid (budak ingusan la...) there was this one television show that somehow brainwashed the minds of almost every boy in my primary school. I'm gonna need the help of my fellow friends and readers to help me re-trace the steps of this television show, coz to be honest, the storyline was the last thing on my mind when I watched it. Tapi dalam aku cuba mengelak untuk ambil tauk pasal storyline cerita tok...masih juak aku dapat ingat dengan samar-samar apa sedang dilalui hero ya. Cerita nok aku maksudkan adalah....jeng jeng jeng! Nangga video tok dulok...jelmakan semula zaman gembira kanak-kanak anda! Henshin!!! Suria...Perkasa...Hitam!!!!!! Persoalan Minda: Aku heran dengan nama hero tok versi Indon ya - Kesatria Baja Hitam. Apa sebenarnya maksud 'baja' ya? Macam ne nama Kamen Rider Black, boleh ter'translate' kepada Kesatria  Baja Hitam? 'Kesatria' dan 'hitam' ya

Bidayuh Music?!!

Oni wat ya nai muzik Bidoyoh?  Traditional Bidayuh Instruments  One day, I saw a discussion on Facebook between some friends that was about Bidayuh MUSIC. I couldn't remember as to whether the discussion was about holding a competition for Bidayuh music or organizing some sort of Bidayuh music festival. Not so sure which one was it. But let me just ask this question; what exactly do you mean by Bidayuh 'music'?. For all I know, Bidayuh music that I have been exposed since I was a kid was those that involve an entire ensemble of gongs (tawak, kita'ak, pidabat and etc...). So when I read this discussion, it was odd for me to think that we would try to ask our modern songwriters to write new music from this type of ensemble. I was once told by village elders that to each kampung, their musical arrangement for this ensemble is different. So the beats played by the group from Grogo, will definitely differ from those who hail from Singgai, Pedawan or Serian.

Space Cop Gaban a.k.a. Space Ranger Gaban a.k.a Space Sheriff Gavan

Oni wat sirita tih ponai brainwash onak opot bih? Space Cop Gaban!! As it seems futile to avoid talking about the invasion of Japanese henshin (transform) hero series that invaded my innocent childhood, it should be more than proper for me to introduce to all of you the pioneer of all japanese henshin heroes. Of course, Suria Perkasa Hitam was one of a kind...yeah, he didn't have any fancy looking giant robot and has never fought any monster that taller than 10 feet. Jadi hero Jipon nok bakal aku persembahkan tok adalah.... ...Space Cop Gaban!!! Mesti bahagia Lawai baca blog aku tok kelak. Oh, and by the way, mun kitak orang nangga video di atas, tolong-tolonglah perhatikan subtitle theme songnya tok dalam Bahasa Malaysia. Hahahaha. Cerita tok aku rasa sapa lahir selepas 1982 sik kan ingat langsung la rasa-rasanya sebab aku rasa aku nangga tok sebelum aku sekolah rendah gik. Atau time aku darjah 1 kot..sik ingat gilak la...harap-harap ada sapa-sapa tolong ingatkan aku (I